[MacRuby-devel] BridgeSupport Preview 1

Laurent Sansonetti lsansonetti at apple.com
Mon Oct 11 14:55:57 PDT 2010

Hi guys,

As promised for a long time, we finally prepared a preview of the next BridgeSupport implementation we have been working on.

This new implementation has significant differences versus the current one; the generator has been rewritten on top of clang/llvm. It now offers accurate metadata representation of APIs, and it's also a lot faster and more stable. Also, the project now covers all system frameworks (the previous release only covered selected ones) and new API constructs (such as C-level blocks).

I updated the project's homepage and pushed the latest sources, that you can build yourself.

http://bridgesupport.macosforge.org/trac/wiki

However, since the new generator depends on the clang binaries, clang must be built as part of the build process, so it may take some time. Therefore, I prepared a binary installer here:

http://www.macruby.org/files/BridgeSupport%20Preview%201.zip

For MacRuby, you will need trunk, or tonight's nightly build, in order to use the new files. I intend to release 0.7.1 tomorrow (or later) which will include the necessary minor fixes.

A well-known side effect of installing the new BridgeSupport release is that `framework 'Cocoa'' takes more time to execute, since many more dependent frameworks are covered. It takes a good second on my MacBook Pro, vs 0.3s before. We will address this problem in the upcoming release of MacRuby, by optimizing the BridgeSupport loader and maybe pre-compiling the files as binary forms. But eventually this problem won't exist with static compilation, since the BridgeSupport metadata is then compiled into the binary and not loaded anymore at runtime.