[MacRuby-devel] Understanding Pointer objects

Caio Chassot lists at caiochassot.com
Sun Oct 24 11:09:21 PDT 2010

On 2010-10-24, at 05:06 , Matt Aimonetti wrote:

Is there any difference if I do these instead:

> pointer = Pointer.new_with_type("f")

p = Pointer.new(:float)  #<= new instead of new_with_type

> pointer.assign(3.2)

p[0] = 3.2               #<= #[]= instead of #assign

I have used both successfully in the past. Just wondering if I was just lucky or if they're fine.

Also, what's with the #[] thing anyway? What would I get using p[1], p[2]? Is this a way to deal with C arrays or otherwise do basic pointer arithmetics?