[MacRuby-devel] Confusing with The memory a macruby app used

Laurent Sansonetti lsansonetti at apple.com
Sun Oct 24 18:20:28 PDT 2010

Hi,

The memory used by a new MacRuby app depends on your environment, but it's indeed bigger than a default Objective-C app. If you start enabling garbage collection in the Objective-C app and create some objects, the rsize should then be the same as a normal MacRuby app (since the runtime itself creates some objects when starting).

Using AOT compilation will decrease some memory usage.

If you think the default rsize of a MacRuby process is too high please file a ticket and we will investigate.  Otherwise, make sure the rsize of your app remains constant while using it, if you notice it's growing then please let us know, since it might be a leak.

Laurent