[MacRuby-devel] dylib hell

Steven Parkes smparkes at smparkes.net
Tue Sep 14 06:44:49 PDT 2010

> I'm not even sure loading the sqlite3 macports version first is a good idea, since CFNetwork might not work with that version.

Yeah, I thought about that. One would hope that sqlite3 is pretty consistent/upgradable within minor versions at this point, but there's no guarantee. One could try to mach the version from the OS, but that's a lot easier to say than accomplish.

> Did you try renaming the sqlite3 macports library name, or toggle the options passed to the linker when creating the library?

I haven't yet. It was something I thought about, but there are a couple of things about dylibs on OS X that I'm not sure about that might make that moot, In particular, anybody know what happens on OS X if you try to load two dylibs that define the same symbol? Even if I could get both libs to load, I'm not sure how it's going to differentiate the same functions from the two libs. Is it smart enough to remember which symbols came from which libs when the link occured?

A variant on that is to statically link sqlite into the gem, but I'm still not sure about duplicate symbols ...