[MacRuby-devel] backtrace in cocoa callbacks ...

Robert Rice rice.audio at pobox.com
Tue Sep 14 16:00:15 PDT 2010

Hi Steven:

I've noticed that my backtraces (when I get them) are often incomplete. Some method calls will be missing from the backtrace. But I'm more concerned that some errors, e.g., undefined method names, will often cause a loop that I can't catch. And if I don't kill it quickly enough it will use up memory until the Finder crashes requiring a hard reset. This can make debugging difficult. I assume that the looping occurs somewhere searching the Cocoa object inheritances.

My experience thus far indicates that MacRuby will be fast enough for many large applications, but I don't think it will be widely accepted until it is robust enough to catch most errors so that they can be dealt with.

After viewing the introduction to Xcode 4 and LLVM, I am curious if MacRuby compiler could be integrated into and directly compiled by LLVM. LLVM claims to have much improved diagnostics and an enviable analysis phase. Is this idea on the MacRuby roadmap?

Bob Rice