[MacRuby-devel] (Mac)?Gems in the same place

Ryan Davis ryand-ruby at zenspider.com
Wed Sep 15 14:43:58 PDT 2010

On Sep 15, 2010, at 10:56 , Iain Barnett wrote:

> On 15 Sep 2010, at 18:48, Thibault Martin-Lagardette wrote:
>

>> By default, macgem installs gems in /Library/Frameworks/MacRuby.framework/Versions/0.7/usr/lib/ruby/Gems/1.9.2/gems
>
> Thanks. I'd ran `macgem env` and got the same output as `gem env` and got a bit worried, but if you're sure it'll ignore that then I can put away the diazepams :)

yeah. this is probably a problem. I'm guessing you have GEM_PATH set in your environment like I do. I've got:

GEM_PATH=/Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8

and right now I can't even run `macgem env` because it is freakin' out on me and taking up 450+ MB of ram. I'm chasing that down as it is prolly a tangent.

rubygems and/or macruby should probably be patched to include RUBY_ENGINE somewhere in the gem path.

Eric... having a GEM_PATH like variable where I can specify it non-versioned would be great too. One variable to rule them all.