[MacRuby-devel] Renaming the MacRuby project

Ben Rimmington benrimmington at me.com
Sun Apr 3 03:46:49 PDT 2011

I'm an iOS developer, and I haven't tried MacRuby yet, but it appears to be a good alternative to Objective-C.

Assuming that MacRuby will be used on iOS devices in the future, perhaps the framework (and project) should be renamed before the v1.0 release. Some alternatives are:

* AppleRuby.framework
* CoreRuby.framework
* HotRuby.framework (if HotCocoa is popular)
* Ruby.framework (in Versions/?? subfolder)
* RubyBridge.framework
* RubyCocoa.framework (in Versions/B subfolder)
* RubyFoundation.framework
* RubyKit.framework

Since you've recently moved to GitHub, and your "MacRuby: The Definitive Guide" book is probably nearing completion, I don't think this is likely to happen. But I thought it was worth suggesting, because choosing to rename after v1.0 (e.g. "iPhone OS 3.x" to "iOS 4") is worse.

Cheers.

P.S. I had a quick look at the MacRuby source code (commit 17be4634582ac22c418b). Here's a modest patch for "MacRuby.m":

-- (id)performRubySelector:(SEL)sel
-{
-    return [self performRubySelector:sel withArguments:NULL];
-}

+- (id)performRubySelector:(SEL)sel
+{
+    return [self performRubySelector:sel withArguments:NULL count:0];
+}