[MacRuby-devel] How do I get gems into XCode/MacRuby environment?

Paul Davis peedeemail at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 12:24:50 PDT 2011

Good suggestion.

macgem install hpricot # installs the gem (apparently)
macgem list --local    # now shows rake and hpricot as the only two local gems...

After experimentation this appears to be because these are the only two loaded under rvm for ruby 1.9.2. "macgem list --local" is just picking up whatever gems are in the currently selected rvm environment, but not all of these are showing up in XCode.

Code snippet in rb_main.rb:
> ['rubygems', 'pp', 'rake'].each {|gem|
>   puts "Loading '#{gem}'... #{require gem}" #=> true
> }
> system ('macgem list --local')

==>

> *** LOCAL GEMS ***