[MacRuby-devel] A Future for MacRuby

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at apple.com
Tue Dec 20 12:04:47 PST 2011

On Dec 20, 2011, at 6:07 PM, Kevin Poorman wrote:

> I wonder if we couldn't kickstarter a fund to let apple hire someone full time to do macruby work?

MacRuby is an open source project and, as such, is (and always has been) free to seek or employ additional resources entirely on its own; it does not need Apple to hand-hold or broker such an arrangement, assuming that such was even possible or desirable.

While it is also true that Apple has historically put a fair amount of energy into MacRuby, playing a significant role in bootstrapping it to the (IMO, quite functional) state it is in today, the greater MacRuby community should certainly not take this in any way as an indication that it should simply wait passively on the sidelines vs taking an active role in determining its future.  MacRuby, just as with pretty much every other dialect or implementation of Ruby, is not (or at least shouldn't be) something driven by a single person or corporation.  Even Matz himself is not the sole arbiter of what Ruby is or can become, it being far more of a group effort at this point, and MacRuby is no different.  If it were a bird, I would say that it's spent a fair amount of time in the nest, its wings are fully grown, and it's fully capable of flying by itself at this point. :)

- Jordan