[MacRuby-devel] TwUI & MacRuby issue

isaac kearse isaackearse at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 14:19:21 PST 2011

TwUI is a hardware accelerated UI framework for Mac, inspired by
UIKit: https://github.com/twitter/twui

I'd like to try using it in my MacRuby apps, so I thought to start
with I would port the the TwUI Example Project to MacRuby.

TwUI Example Project: https://github.com/twitter/twui/tree/master/ExampleProject
MacRuby: https://github.com/isaac/TwUIExample

I got a basic version of the example app working, but as I was
implementing the tab bar the app crashed with this exception:

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x000000000000000a

Here is the full crash report: https://gist.github.com/78e7f9870b788e8fd4c9

I have tried to make this crash easy to replicate by writing a Rake
task and instructions for installing the TwUI framework for MacRuby -
details here: https://github.com/isaac/TwUIExample/blob/master/README.md

The app was originally written with HotCocoa, but there is also an
Xcode version that reproduces the same crash here:
https://github.com/isaac/TwUIExample/tree/master/Xcode

I thought this might be related to the fact that TwUI doesn't use
garbage collection, but I can also reproduce this crash with a fork
that uses ARC here:
https://github.com/jspahrsummers/twui/tree/SnowLeopardCompatibility

Let me know if I should open a Trac ticket about this, I'm not sure if
it is a MacRuby issue or not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Isaac