[MacRuby-devel] stopping to build for i386

Laurent Sansonetti lsansonetti at apple.com
Tue Feb 22 18:31:42 PST 2011

Hi,

As of r5239 in trunk, the default build process will no longer build for both i386 and x86_64, but just x86_64. This is an attempt at accelerating the build process and reducing the framework objects size.

We are however not removing any i386-related code from the project, and one will still be able to build a 32-bit version of MacRuby by passing archs=i386 to rake. We will also consider fixing i386 bugs. But we want to start discouraging people to target i386 hardware for MacRuby apps, for several reasons (codebase not well tested, runtime / exception handling differences, floating point precision loss, etc.). The i386-related code could eventually be removed from MacRuby after 0.10.

This is not an irrevocable decision, though. If people complain we will revert the change. But I want to give it a try.