[MacRuby-devel] BridgeSupport stack overflow

Martin Hawkins martin.hawkins at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 05:08:30 PST 2011

I have an application that needs to access some constants -
KeyDirectObject from AppleEvents.h, requiring AE.bridgesupport; and
KInternetEventClass and KAEGetURL from InternetConfig.h, requiring
HIServices.bridgesupport. I had to upgrade to the BridgeSupport
Preview 3 for the constants to be 'seen'.

I've built the app by amending the Embed target slightly; I've added
the --bs flag (slightly unfortunate name there !) which has produced
the BridgeSupport directory under Contents/Resources as required. I'm
using the debug build atm.

I have two observations:
a)  running the app on Snow Leopard 10.6.6 works just fine, but
running it on a MacBook Pro build with Snow Leopard 10.6 (i.e no
upgrades applied) results in a crash - stack overflow, Job appears to
have crashed: Abort trap.
As the purpose of this build is to allow the app to run on Macs that
have neither MacRuby installed nor the BridgeSupport preview, we've
taken to redefining these constants in rb_main.rb and dispensing with
the BridgeSupport files; we'd like to address that. I'm happy to work
with someone to try to figure out what is going on and to fix it.

b) the --bs flag increases the size of the app by about 5mb. We only
need the two mentioned - can we amend the script to make sure only the
two mentioned above get included?
Incidentally - I noticed that there were 9 .dylib files in the
BridgeSupport folder - are they supposed to be there?

Martin