[MacRuby-devel] Hotcocoa or not?

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at apple.com
Sun Jan 2 13:30:03 PST 2011

On Jan 2, 2011, at 12:55 PM, Henry Maddocks wrote:

> Sent from my iPad
>
> On 3/01/2011, at 5:03 AM, Thibault Martin-Lagardette <thibault.ml at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> However, please be aware that as of today, it is not possible to submit, on the AppStore (the iOS AppStore), an application that has been written using MacRuby :-(.
>
> Why not? What information do you have?

I think Thibault may have been a little too terse in his statement, leaving it ambiguous as to why.  This is not a question of developer agreements (which have been broadened since the original clause 3.3.1 was drafted) so much as a technology issue.  MacRuby does not support ARM right now, and even if it did, UIKit is not GC-safe, so you wouldn't be able to do any UI in MacRuby - pretty pointless!

- Jordan