[MacRuby-devel] What's happened to Dispatch::Job?

Joshua Ballanco jballanc at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 21:07:02 PST 2011

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 10:58 AM, Martin Hawkins
<martin.hawkins at gmail.com>wrote:

> Back to Grand Central Dispatch which was really the topic of the post
> - Dispatch and Dispatch::Group are available from macirb, but
> Dispatch::Job is not, so I suppose I'm really saying that in trying to
> discover what is available re GCD for macruby, the current
> documentation is confusing.

Hey Martin,

Dispatch is an odd beast, since it matches (mostly) the libdispatch library
in OS X. So, you'll find that the core methods are the ones that mirror
libdispatch's functionality. In other words, if you do a 'man dispatch' you
should get a good idea of what's included.

The point of the dispatch gem is that, since there are so many rather
obvious ways to use libdispatch to extend Ruby in a more Ruby-ish  fashion,
all these "extras" are packaged as a gem.

The short answer is: Queues, Groups, and Sources are libdispatches
"primitives". Everything else is an "extra".

Cheers,

Josh