[MacRuby-devel] Thread safety in apply example?

Charles Oliver Nutter headius at headius.com
Tue Jan 25 00:13:23 PST 2011

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 2:11 AM, Charles Oliver Nutter
<headius at headius.com> wrote:
> I did have to hack around the parser logic, since native extensions
> largely mean death for concurrency on JRuby (and by native I mean C
> extensions using MRI's API). Instead, I lifted code from Mongrel and
> Rack to use Mongrel's parser to populate a Rack environment, and
> managed to make the result function well enough to benchmark.

I should clarify this... Mongrel has shipped a Java version of its
Ragel-based parser for many years. JCD and ChaosBazaar have no
native/C code whatsoever, and will run on any platform with a
reasonably current JVM.

I'd be happy to roll my CT/CB parser hackage back into mainline if we
can find a clean way to isolate impl-specific backends. It would be
easier to maintain a single CT atop multiple GCD lookalike APIs than
to collaborate on largely-independent forks.

- Charlie