[MacRuby-devel] Extending MacRuby to platforms other than OSX?

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Tue Jan 25 09:14:11 PST 2011

On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 18:05:46 +0100 Adam Strzelecki <ono at java.pl>
wrote:
> (2) any UNIX (POSIX) platforms (Linux servers) - most of tech
> MacRuby relays on is OpenSource including LLVM, Obj-C runtime...
> most except Foundation framework is closed-source and exists only
> on OSX, however there's CFLite and there were couple of tries to
> port Foundation to generic UNIX (POSIX), one of them is
> PureFoundation.
>
> Do you guys considered stripped down MacRuby version for any POSIX
> OS where Array, String and some core classes use some alternative
> implementation of Foundation or Foundation-free implementation?

I think it would be easiest, given the limited number of classes in
question, to simply fill out the implementations for an alternative
objc runtime on Linux, but I could be wrong. The GC is a more
interesting and difficult question. That said, I could be quite wrong
here, I've spent only a small amount of time digging around in
MacRuby's innards so far.

Perry E. Metzger		perry at piermont.com