[MacRuby-devel] Gems again; signing records

Martin Hawkins martin.hawkins at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 09:41:55 PST 2011

I know this has been asked before but his is driving me nuts.It' s
been a frustrating day; I've been trying to use the UUID gem and have
still not been able to 'require' it successfully.

I have installed uuid using macgem and have unpacked it to a vendor
directory, so I now have :
vendor -- macaddr-1.0.0 -- lib -- macaddr.rb
           --  uuid-2.3.1 -- lib -- uuid.rb

Obviously, there's more, but those are important bits.

I have tried the following, after googling, with no success, on the
basis that the files are 'require'd and once loaded, can be 'require'd
again by simple reference:
In rb_main.rb

$:.unshift  File.join(File.dirname(__FILE__), 'Vendor/uuid-2.3.1/lib')
$:.unshift  File.join(File.dirname(__FILE__), 'Vendor/macaddr-1.0.0/
lib')

require 'macaddr'
require 'uuid'

However, when I try to require 'macaddr' or 'uuid' from another class
definition file, I get 'no such file to load'.

I've tried setting ENV['GEM_HOME']='/Users/martin/work/macruby/onWeb/
PeepOpen/Vendor' in rb_main.rb; that seemed to make no difference.

I've tried using the full path:
require '/Users/martin/work/macruby/onWeb/xxxxxx/Vendor/macaddr-1.0.0/
lib/macaddr'
require '/Users/martin/work/macruby/onWeb/xxxxxx/Vendor/uuid-2.3.1/lib/
uuid'
and this produces a 'no such file to load -- fileutils' - neither gem
depends on fileutils !

But hey, I tried it and it refused to build - 'checking for Magick-
config... no'

So I have two questions:

1. What is the *proper* way of incorporating gems into a MacRuby
project using XCode to build and run; and
2. All I want to do is sign records for later comparison. Can anybody
suggest an alternative method, other than using UUID?

thanks