[MacRuby-devel] I don't normally plug the mailing list, but when I do it's for gemaholics

Mark Rada mrada at marketcircle.com
Mon Jun 20 06:04:08 PDT 2011

Except for the horrendous performance hit with MacRuby, I think more gems is generally a better thing.

I wouldn't say HotCocoa is dead, though as Josh mentioned, I think its best uses have changed---there is still a lot of useful stuff in HotCocoa and the project is still be maintained (more or less).

At a high level, I think a lot of MacRuby gems would probably fit with what HotCocoa was trying to do (simplify the initialization and configuration of Cocoa objects), but at a technical level adding more mini-languages is probably not the best idea.

Though, I have been able to move most of one of my other MacRuby gems into HotCocoa as a mapping, it was an easy fit since they operated similarly, and I was able to shed some complexity. I suspect that at least mynu could be mirrored in HotCocoa as well since there are already some similarities in how HotCocoa maps NSMenu.

That is just my two cents, though.

Mark Rada
mrada at marketcircle.com