[MacRuby-devel] macruby_deploy --gem

Ryan Davis ryand-ruby at zenspider.com
Wed Mar 2 00:08:03 PST 2011

On Mar 1, 2011, at 18:57 , Russ McBride wrote:

> I've stopped fighting with gems and just gave into the new --gem option in macruby_deploy today.  Alas, I'm fighting with gems again.
>
> My app, which I'm adding features to, btw, has been running quite nicely here at UC Berkeley to drive Selenium as a web app probing and monitoring device.
>
> I'm getting this error as I try to embed the action_mailer gem in my app:
>
> 	Cannot locate gem `action_mailer' in ["/Users/r/.gem/macruby/1.9.2", "/Library/Frameworks/MacRuby.framework/Versions/0.9/usr/lib/ruby/Gems/1.9.2"]
>
> But I've got the action_mailer gem in both locations, along with it's dependencies, so I'm confused.
>
> It'd be nice if there was a definitive web page for managing gems in MacRuby (or maybe there is and I'm missing it).  Part of the problem is that I'm using RVM which has a distinct file hierarchy....

1) Don't thread hijack. Some (most?) of us use real mail clients and you're screwing up threading.

2) Don't fight with gems. You'll lose. :P

3) Don't embed gems inside of gems. Use gem dependencies properly and you'll be a lot happier.

Using hoe it is as simple as:

Hoe.spec 'my_thingy' do
  developer 'Ryan Davis', 'ryand-ruby at zenspider.com'

  dependency 'action_mailer', '~> 3.0'
end

Then a regular gem activation or require should find the gem just fine.