[MacRuby-devel] Hey Apple, please be nice and share

Scott Thompson easco at mac.com
Wed Mar 9 19:45:58 PST 2011

On Mar 7, 2011, at 7:56 PM, Rob Gleeson wrote:

> On 7 Mar 2011, at 22:59, Thibault Martin-Lagardette wrote:
>
>> Even though I totally would rather see MacRuby as a public framework just like everyone else here, isn't the reason because once it's in the Public frameworks, Apple would have to maintain it for a certain amount of time, and since MacRuby hasn't hit the 1.0 milestone yet, they might not want to do it right now?
>>
>> Of course, this is just a guess :-)
>>
>> --
>> Thibault Martin-Lagardette
>>

> I think the same as you.
> I don't think MacRuby is mature enough to become a public framework yet.
> It is great for developing Cocoa applications, but as a Ruby 1.9 implementation I think it still has some way to go.

Apple builds in other public source frameworks and libraries that they don't suggest you use as well.  For example ICU is "built in" but Apple doesn't give you the headers and suggests that you build the library yourself, rather than link to their copy of the library,  if you want to include it in your app.

The reason they usually do that is because public source frameworks, like MacRuby, move on after the OS release.  If their copy of the framework was public they would have to ensure that whatever apps they've created that use it track the public releases.

By making the framework private, they ensure that they have the version that they've qualified their software against.

I imagine their thoughts about MacRuby go along the same lines.

Scott