[MacRuby-devel] Help test a new MacRuby app
andre.lewis at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 10:00:40 PST 2011
Redwood is a "Spotlight for your web apps" -- it searches Basecamp, GMail,
and GDocs from one search bar on your desktop.
Developing in MacRuby has been a joy, and I'd like to make Redwood a
showcase for desktop MacRuby. You can help by installing Redwood and let me
know if you have any issues. We're using embedded, compiled gems, so I'd
like to see it running successfully on a variety of Macs.
Download: http://redwoodapp.com/system/Redwood.zip (note: OSX 10.6+
A little technical background:
- MacRuby 0.9, embedded in the application bundle
- Two gems: Nokogiri and GData, also embedded in the application bundle.
We use macruby_deploy --gem, which makes gem bundling a breeze.
- A few Obj-C libraries: Sqlite3 and FMDB for database, ASIHTTPRequest
for HTTP, Sparkle for auto-update. The app started out in Obj-C. We moved to
MacRuby, but some parts remain in Obj-C. As we go, anything that needs
refactoring moves to Ruby.
- all the usual Cocoa APIs, mostly used from Ruby.
- the main UI is rendered primarily in HTML/CSS, and events are passed
back and forth between an embedded Webview and Cocoa
Please give it a whirl and let me know how it goes. Download link again:
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the MacRuby-devel