[MacRuby-devel] "framework" method gotcha

Christian Niles christian at nerdyc.com
Tue Mar 15 18:59:09 PDT 2011

On Mar 14, 2011, at 1:11 PM, Laurent Sansonetti wrote:

> Hi Christian,
>
> These tests should probably be removed, they are not used anymore (these were used before we switched to RubySpec).
>
> The correct thing to do is probably make a macruby spec (under the spec/macruby directory).
>
> How do you intend to change #framework exactly? Maybe you should work on a patch first, and we can iterate on it, then write the spec/test later.

As a TDDer, I went to the specs first :)

My update is pretty simple so I just went ahead and wrote the patch, added to this ticket:

  https://www.macruby.org/trac/ticket/1198

In short, I changed Kernel#framework to *always* treat strings like 'Cocoa' as a framework names that resolve against the main bundle, system paths, and DYLD_FRAMEWORK_PATH. Anything that looks like a path gets resolved against the current directory (unless it's absolute, of course). Paths are anything with a slash or '.framework' on the end, essentially.

Based on the existing code, I think this was the expected behavior, but it had the gotcha I experienced.

> Thanks for helping :)

No problem!

christian.