[MacRuby-devel] Is HotCocoa dead?

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at apple.com
Fri Mar 25 17:13:04 PDT 2011

I think that Dan just declared himself the new project lead! :-)

Seriously, I understand Matt's point about fragmentation, but I honestly haven't seen enough action in this space to really merit that much concern about it.  HotCocoa's problems are deeper than a small collection of one or two line patches, the bigger questions being:

1. What problem, or problems, is HotCocoa really trying to solve (and does it currently solve them)?

2. How far should HotCocoa go?  Does it want to front-end every bit of complex Cocoa API or design pattern such that one can do, say, something meaningful with CoreData with just a few lines of code?  If not, how much is considered reasonable and why?

3. How will the folks working on HotCocoa know when they're "finished"?  (Related to both #1 and #2).

4. UIKit vs AppKit.  Sure, right now only one of them are relevant to MacRuby, but should that change, how might this affect HotCocoa?

I'm sure folks can come up with even more "pertinent questions", those are just some of the first ones to pop into my own head!

- Jordan