[MacRuby-devel] Does MacRuby Play Well with RVM?

Mark Rada mrada at marketcircle.com
Sat May 21 20:38:04 PDT 2011

Not true.

For those of us that have a lot of gems, being able to use gemsets with MacRuby can yield significant speed ups when loading something that requires a gem.

As a quick benchmark I chose to load the "abstract" gem because it is a single file weighing in at 75 lines (including comments and white space), then I tried loading it with varying numbers of other gems installed:

macruby -rubygems -e "start = Time.now; require 'abstract'; p Time.now - start"

0 other gems:   0.180205 seconds
1 other gem:     0.310673 seconds
10 other gems: 0.795038 seconds
23 other gems: 2.478057 seconds

23 gems seems odd, but that is how many other gems are installed when you install rails. If you have rails and then some other gems, the load time would be much worse because, as you can see, the performance degradation is _exponential_. This performance issue will eventually go away, but not any time soon.

For me, this is a "real" reason for using rvm, but this may not be the case for everyone.

Mark Rada
mrada at marketcircle.com