[MacRuby-devel] symbol not found: _rb_str_freeze

Steve Clarke steve at sclarkes.me.uk
Wed Nov 16 09:29:18 PST 2011

Hi Jean-Denis,

I can't answer your question directly but I may be able to help a bit. I also want to use mysql with `MacRuby.  I tried mysql gem version 2.8.1 and hit problems I couldn't work around.  I also tried ruby-mysql 2.9.4.  I did get that to work after some mods, but it was very slow to load and didn't seem totally reliable.

I then decided to use an Objective-C framework that accesses SQL.  Sequel Pro contains such a framework called MCPKit and it's open source.  This means no gems so it loads v quickly.  However, the version of MCPKit that I downloaded had manual memory management so wouldn't link with a MacRuby app.  I don't know much about Objective-C but I thought I would just try recompiling MCPKit with ARC and garbage collection.  To my surprise and delight it worked.  I'm afraid I don't know how robust this approach is likely to be.  Maybe I've just been lucky.  It would be interesting to hear from someone who understands memory management better than me.

Steve