[MacRuby-devel] Advice for Total Tyro

Bryan Harrison bryan at bryanharrison.com
Sat Oct 15 17:12:05 PDT 2011

Older & Wisers:

Having done enough web development, network design, and systems administration for one lifetime, I've decided this winter is a fine time to leave all that behind and become an applications developer.  Wanting to make consumer products and having no interest in Windows, most of the territory ahead is obvious.

But still, I'd appreciate some advice from those who're already there, particularly with regard to MacRuby.

Specifically, has development for OS X and iOS reached the point where it would be reasonable to pursue Ruby before or even instead of Objective-C?  I've modest C background, am OOP-familiar, am not versed in Cocoa, and am only marginally familiar with Ruby.  Obviously I'd like to get up to speed as soon as possible, but I'm not under any pressure and expecting this will be the next 5-10 years of my life, would rather be good than quick.

Objective-C is not without a certain homely charm, but Ruby is obviously the more modern language.  So…

Does Xcode treat Ruby as family, or is it a stepchild toiling in the ashes?  Are there other tools I'll need?

What's Apple's attitude toward Ruby applications?

Can Ruby take advantage of the (finally!) modern memory management features released with iOS 5?

Will I end up have having learn Objective-C regardless?

Basically, "If you were me, what would you do, and what order might you do it in?"

Thanks,
Bryan