[MacRuby-devel] Configuring IDE to use MacRuby?

Jean-Denis MUYS jdmuys at kleegroup.com
Thu Oct 20 01:54:41 PDT 2011

Hi,

Out of curiosity, I tried to set up a few IDEs other than Xcode to use for MacRuby development, and I have mostly failed. I would appreciate any advice/suggestion.

- TextMate: Success. I found some rather complex recipes on the net. Mine is much simpler: go to Preferences > Advanced > Shell Variables and add a shell variable named TM_RUBY with value of '/usr/local/bin/macruby'.

- Komodo IDE: Failure. I chose Preferences > Languages > Ruby, clicked the "Browse" button and selected macruby in '/usr/local/bin/'. Komodo IDE accepted it, but reported the following error:

"The Ruby debugger extension does not work with the version of Ruby select or that is on your path. You need to use Ruby version 1.8.2 or later. You can get Ruby from the Ruby home page at http://www.ruby-lang.org"

I suspected their debugger extension expects the ruby debugger to be named rubyd and not macrubyd. So I dup'ed macrubyd and renamed the copy to rubyd. However, this didn't improve the situation.

My Google fu failed to locate any useful suggestion on the net.

- RubyMine: Failure. I chose Preferences > Ruby SDK and Gems, clicked "Add SDK…" > "Specify other" and chose /Library/Frameworks/MacRuby.framework/Versions/0.10/usr/bin/macruby, as per some instructions I found on the net. However, RubyMine then displays an error message in large friendly red letters:

"Rubygems not installed for SDK: ruby-1.9.2-p0. Please download and install rubygems."

Any suggestion? Or is there no other working option than Xcode and TextMate?

Thanks,

Jean-Denis

PS: I am really a Ruby beginner, and I am not used to Ruby configurations, gems and the like. I will gladly take suggestions to RTFM.