[MacRuby-devel] locals & dispatch: is using a pointer the best practice?

Michael Johnston lastobelus at mac.com
Sat Oct 22 03:30:20 PDT 2011

Very strange, your example works for me in irb too. Irb must do something odd with locals. Have you tried this outside of irb, though? If you wrap with a method def'n in irb, it behaves differently, and the fact that locals are copied has been discussed lots on the list. But Laurent (I think) said this will likely change, has it already? I'm on 0.10

$ macirb --noprompt
def check
    print "can I change a local scalar? "
    maybe = "nope"
    $q.sync do
        maybe  = "yep"
  end
    puts maybe
end
=> nil
def check_p
    print "can I assign to a pointer? "
    maybe_p = Pointer.new(:id)
    maybe_p.assign "nope"
    $q.sync do
        maybe_p.assign "yep"
  end
    puts maybe_p[0]
end
=> nil
def check_w
    print "can I assign to a wrapper attr? "
    maybe = ResultWrapper.new("nope")
    $q.sync do
        maybe.value = "yep"
  end
    puts maybe.value
end
=> nil
ResultWrapper = Struct.new(:value)
=> ResultWrapper
$q= Dispatch::Queue.new('q')
=> q
check
can I change a local scalar? nope
=> nil
# but using a pointer works:
=> nil
check_p
can I assign to a pointer? yep
=> nil
# or a wrapper (but more expensive for tight loops):
=> nil
check_w
can I assign to a wrapper attr? yep
=> nil
$q= Dispatch::Queue.concurrent
=> com.apple.root.default-priority
# double-checking it isn't different for the parallel queues:
=> nil
check
can I change a local scalar? nope
=> nil