[MacRuby-devel] Fwd: macruby produces strings with encodings that differ from MRI

Steve Clarke steve at sclarkes.me.uk
Sun Sep 18 03:11:11 PDT 2011

Hi Laurent,

The problem is  in the self.eof_packet? method of protocol.rb.

The statement that causes the problem is:
      data[0] == ?\xfe && data.length == 5

When run under macruby this is what happens:
			Encoding of data[0] is ASCII-8BIT.  Encoding of ?\xfe is UTF-8
The compare fails in macruby but in MRI it succeeds (because in MRI the encoding of ?\xfe is ascii - actually it's US_ASCII, but that seems to compare equal)

If I use force_encoding UTF-8 then things work OK - as far as I've tested.

Steve

Begin forwarded message: