[MacRuby-devel] Re The Future of MacRuby

Dan Farrand danf at greenRiverComputing.com
Thu Apr 5 15:34:56 PDT 2012

I am not a a contributor to MacRuby, but I have been interested in using it. Without Apple sponsorship, I have very little interest in MacRuby.  Without commitment and support from Apple, it will be a never ending scramble to just keep up with niggling changes to xcode, cocoa and the build process.  Every new release of anything by Apple will break stuff.  By offering no comment and no hook into the apple labyrinth the message from Apple is that, "it is not strategic to us".

The broader message may also be that computing in general is less and less strategic to Apple.

So sad to say,  I think it is goodby MacRuby.  Very sad, because if Apple does care about the computing side of the business, they are going to need to provide an alternative to ObjectiveC and the aging development approach they have been living off of for the last 10 years.    I had hopped that MacRuby might have pointed the way, but apparently not.

danf