[MacRuby-devel] Appscript and pathname translation

Robert Schaaf rwschaaf at comcast.net
Wed Apr 18 04:48:05 PDT 2012

Hello again, Macruby community!

I'm trying to rewrite a program that drives Excel with appscript, and running into the problem of translating back and forth between HFS and POSIX pathnames.  The old Appscript module included a MacTypes module, and these two translations were provided.

1. to go from POSIX to HFS:

	hfs_pathname  = MacTypes::FileURL.path(posix_pathname).hfs_path

2. to make the round trip back to POSIX:

	posix_pathname  = DefaultCodecs.unpack(DefaultCodecs.pack(hfs_pathname).coerce(KAE::TypeFileURL)).path

Do I need to go to the scripting bridge for this?  This is Core Foundation stuff, and I'm totally at sea.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bob Schaaf