[MacRuby-devel] MacRuby Working Properly?

Chong-Yee Khoo mail at cykhoo.com
Tue Feb 21 01:48:56 PST 2012

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate forum to post this, so please
accept my apologies if so.

I have a slight suspicion that MacRuby is not working/not installed
properly in my machine.

In macirb, the class of an object is always reported as the Ruby
class, not the NS class - e.g., string is always "String", when I
believe it should be NSString.

$ macirb
irb(main):001:0> "foo".class
=> String

also

$ ruby -ve "p ''.methods.size"
ruby 1.9.3p0 (2011-10-30 revision 33570) [x86_64-darwin11.2.0]
162

$ macruby -ve "p ''.methods.size"
MacRuby 0.10 (ruby 1.9.2) [universal-darwin10.0, x86_64]
162

when I would have expected the numbers to be higher in the second.

Is this something that I should be concerned about?

The curious thing is that I am working my way through Matt's book, and
the examples seem to work properly (including in Xcode, apart from the
hiccup with the recent 4.3 upgrade, which I haven't been able to
resolve yet).

Any help would be gratefully received. Thanks in advance. System is
10.7.3, Ruby 1.9.3, MacRuby 0.10, Xcode 4.3.

Regards,

Chong-Yee