[MacRuby-devel] CNC Machine control using USB to IEEE 1284 Parallel port adapter

Dave Baldwin dave.baldwin at dsl.pipex.com
Wed Jan 18 01:10:29 PST 2012

Hi Bob,

You don't really say what your final goal is so this may not suit your purpose.

PC based CNC controllers are suck in the dark ages - not only for the GUI they present but in how they control the steppers via the printer port.  They rely on low level Window's drivers to generate accurate timing pulses (on the parallel port pins) and this process is easily disrupted by other system activity.  On a dedicated controller you can disable many of the system activities (network wifi, virus scanning, etc.) that will loose you accuracy, but even so the number of steps per second you can reliably generate is limited.

If you don't have to go down that route then using a USB pulse generator will be a far superior solution.  Example of such a products can be found at http://www.planet-cnc.com/ and http://www.warp9td.com/.  In this the timing pulses are generated by hardware and you just supply the 4 axis motion vector you want over the USB bus and it generates the appropriate pulse trains to control the steppers.

Dave.