[MacRuby-devel] BasicObject

Gabriel Gilder gabriel.gilder at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 23:48:45 PDT 2012

Hi all,

I have a pull request in on RSpec (
https://github.com/rspec/rspec-expectations/pull/160) to fix an issue I
encountered with MacRuby, but I'm hoping someone here can provide a better
explanation of the root cause of the issue than I can. Basically RSpec was
assuming that a version of Ruby that defined BasicObject would have all
objects inherit from BasicObject, which is the case in MRI 1.9.2. In
MacRuby, however, BasicObject exists in a weird sort of parallel universe;
it has no ancestors, yet nothing seems to inherit from it either.

You can see my attempt at explanation in the pull request; can anyone
provide a better explanation for this setup?

Thanks,
-Gabriel