[MacRuby-devel] MacRuby.h not found

Jean-Denis MUYS jdmuys at kleegroup.com
Tue Jun 12 04:27:28 PDT 2012

Hello,

After installing, in order:

- Xcode 4.3.3 (update of 4.3.2)
- Xcode 4.5DP1
- MacRuby 0.12 binary distribution

I create a new MacRuby project (so some MacRuby template is found), but Xcode 4.3.3 fails to compile the main.m file. It chokes on "#import <MacRuby/MacRuby.h>" with the error "MacRuby/MacRuby.h file not found".

I checked that the MacRuby framework appear in my project and is listed in the "Link Binary With Libraries" build phases.

However, it appears in red in both places and file inspector says it's located at "Library/Frameworks/MacRuby.framework", "Relative to Developer Directory".

I'm not sure which is the "Developer Directory" (how can I find out?), but MacRuby.framework sure doesn't appear in my ~/Developer directory. Inspecting the MacRuby installer logs shows that it installed it right in /Library/Frameworks, not in any developer directory. This is confirmed by a search of MacRuby.framework using the mdfind command: MacRuby.framework is only to be found in  /Library/Frameworks.

xcode-select -print-path reports /Applications/Xcode433.app/Developer, but MacRuby.framework doesn't appear in /Applications/Xcode433.app/Developer/Library/Frameworks.

I tried to replace the MacRuby.framework from the template by the one that is located in /Library/Frameworks. The project now shows it in black, not red, so it's found now. However, I still have the exact same compiler error.

Looking at the Xcode target settings, I found that the Framework Search Paths setting points to the Frameworks directory within Xcode433.

This seems to suggest that the installer installed MacRuby.framework in the wrong location: /Library instead of the currently-selected Xcode directory.

What would be the next step in my case? Is it enough to copy over MacRuby.framework to /Applications/Xcode433.app/Developer/Library/Frameworks?

Thanks,

Jean-Denis

PS: to be complete:

Calling "macruby --version" in the terminal reports "MacRuby 0.12 (ruby 1.9.2) [universal-darwin10.0, x86_64]", but if I recall correctly, so did the rather old nightly build I had installed previously.

Calling "which macruby" reports /usr/local/bin/macruby, which is consistent with the MacRuby installer.

[Logo Kleegroup]
Klee Group is a great place to work – Il fait bon travailler à Klee Group