[MacRuby-devel] gem not loading in MacRuby app

Jean-Denis MUYS jdmuys at kleegroup.com
Wed Jun 13 02:11:53 PDT 2012

This is a followup to my problems migrating to Xcode 4.3.3 and MacRuby 0.12 under Lion 10.7.4.

Situation as of yesterday:

- MacRuby 0.12 installer installed in /Library/Frameworks instead of within Xcode 4.3.3 bundle
- MacRuby project template links MacRuby frameworks from within Xcode 4.3.3 bundle where it's missing
- Worked around by copying the MacRuby framework back to within Xcode 4.3.3 bundle using the ditto command.

New problem:

My MacRuby app fails to load its gems, which it claims are not found.

So it seems the workaround is not so good. Perhaps the gems are looked for relative to the framework location?

So I reversed the workaround and patched the MacRuby project instead:

- I removed MacRuby.framework referring to the /Developer location (which happens to be within Xcode)
- I added MacRuby.framework from /Library/Frameworks
- I added "/Library/Frameworks" to the target settings "Framework Search Paths"

And now my app can find its gems.

I am still uncomfortable with my installation problem. Where is the MacRuby installer supposed to install the framework anyway? Why didn't it? Or is the Xcode project template that is wrong?

At least I can go on working.

Of course, next is another issue, apparently unrelated, so I'll write it up in another post.

Regards,

Jean-Denis

[Logo Kleegroup]
Klee Group is a great place to work – Il fait bon travailler à Klee Group