[MacRuby-devel] MacRuby development in Xcode

Rick Lloyd richard.t.lloyd at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 15:37:58 PDT 2012

I've been trying to learn MacRuby by following " MacRuby - The Definitive
Guide" and have encountered problems with the code given in Chapter 7.
My system is running MacOS X 10.7.3 and Xcode Version 4.3.2 which were
installed on a clean hard drive so there are no remnants of earlier
software present to confuse the issue.  I'm running MacRuby from the
nightly build 03/24 which I installed yesterday - I was previously running
an earlier version.  Because I am unable to distinguish Xcode problems from
MacRuby (or Definitive Guide) problems I'm posting this problem with both
communities.

Here is a description of the problem I'm having.

Chapter 7 includes a table, beginning on pg 129, which is intended to
contain Text Field, Combo Box, and Button cells.  I am unable to create the
latter two cell types following the instructions given.

In the case of the Combo Box, I can identify the cell as containing an
NSComboBoxCell using the Custom Class on the identiy tab.  When I switch to
the attributes tab the cell is still identified as Text Field and so I am
unable to create the labels for the combo box.  Also, the cell field
displayed in the table does not have the up/down arrows - no visual cue
that there is a list of choices available.

The problem with the NSButtonCell is easier to describe as the choice is
not available through the Custom Class.  If I type it into the field it is
replaced with the default NSTextCell.

I've loaded the project for Chapter 7 from Matt's Git site and can view the
proper behavior for both columns when I load it into Xcode.  This code also
builds (although with three warnings - none related to the table) and
runs.  This code can be used to demonstrate the expected response.

Any suggestions?

thanks in advance,
Rick