[MacRuby-devel] RubyMotion: Ruby for iOS

Robert Schaaf rwschaaf at comcast.net
Fri May 4 07:51:50 PDT 2012

Hello Laurent,

This is great news, and kudos to you.  With all this back and forth about open source vs. proprietary, what's forgotten is the simple fact that it's the developers that determine the success of a development system.  On the strength of your announcement, I've renewed my iOS program, and as soon as some enterprising young developer devises a MacRuby IDE for it, I'll invest in the software, even at FULL PRICE!

I'm interested in how you approached the memory management.  Is it ARC as Apple describes it?  Assuming that it was developed on a box with a MacRuby base, can you share any details of what optimizations we might expect, especially if it's going to be rolled back into MacRuby?

Above all, is it totally transparent?

Mazel tov,

Bob Schaaf

Sent from my iPad