[MacRuby-devel] Basic delayed email method

Mark Rada mrada at marketcircle.com
Fri Oct 19 15:50:27 PDT 2012

Busy looping for an hour would be really bad. I assume you would have a sleep in there, but then you're still polling.

If you are using MacRuby, looking at the GCD API would be a good idea. You could do something like this:

def schedule_email q
    q.after(3600) do
        # Send email
        schedule_email q
    end
end

schedule_email Dispatch::Queue.new("com.rosson.delayed.email")

NSRunLoop.currentRunLoop.run

As for actually sending emails, if you want to have things go through Apple Mail you could use the ScriptingBridge framework which has a few tutorials online (but for iTunes):

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2011/09/tutorial-os-x-automation-with-macruby-and-the-scripting-bridge/

AXElements is another option that I am biased in favour of; but it may not be passive enough for your requirements.

HTH,
	Mark