[MacRuby-devel] segmentation fault 11 with net:http post inside of a function?

bryan rasmussen rasmussen.bryan at gmail.com
Wed Jul 3 16:17:56 PDT 2013

> I think osx doesnt like the "localhost", try 127.0.0.1. Also, if you know a bit of Objc, try the same code there to see if it's a MacRuby only issue.

I tried, didn't have any effect. Anyway the salient aspect seems to be
that the code is being called from within a function, otherwise it
works fine - and again the actual post and such works fine - I receive
it on the server no problems. The segmentation fault seems to happen
after it returns, and it only happens when inside of a function, as in
examples I sent earlier.

So to reiterate, this:

def copy()
  uri = URI('http://127.0.0.1:3000/api/copy/test')
  Net::HTTP.post_form(uri, 'value' => "testing")

end

copy()

causes segmentation fault 11

this

  uri = URI('http://127.0.0.1:3000/api/copy/test')
  Net::HTTP.post_form(uri, 'value' => "testing")

works fine.

Since this is absolutely ridiculous on its face I would expect I am
doing something wrong that is so simple that it is just slipping by
unnoticed, either that or a common newbie error.
I also thought it could be related to this stuff:
http://www.seqmedia.com/2012/05/08/frustrations-abound-rvm-vs-macports-and-the-bug-segmentation-fault/

but not exactly since I am using macruby directly, I shouldn't be
using openssl anywhere in that code, and this doesn't really explain
why it only fails when called inside a function (but after the post to
the server completes)

Thanks,
Bryan Rasmussen