[MacRuby-devel] MacRuby on Mavericks

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Thu Nov 7 05:13:55 PST 2013

On Thu, 07 Nov 2013 11:20:13 +0200 david kramf <dakr.012 at gmail.com>
wrote:
> I have a project that written in MacRuby but I can split the code
> to logic  in Ruby and the UI which I can translate to Objective-C .
> So My problem is how to run a pure Ruby from my app. I was thinking
> of opening an AppleScript terminal and running IRB there . Has
> anyone tried it? Do you have a better easier idea ? Is it doable ??
> Thnks, David Kramf

First, it is unnecessary to use a terminal to fork a subprocess
running ruby, and clearly unnecessary to use applescript for any of
this. You can simply use the normal Unix fork/exec to set up a
subprocess, which you can then communicate with via pipes, unix
domain sockets, etc. Second, irb is the interactive ruby shell, you
need not use that.

You can also simply link together the ruby interpreter and your
application -- the ruby foreign function interface makes this
reasonably straightforward.

Still, I think the main import of all such discussions is that there
remains a large constituency for developing applications in Ruby for
the Mac, but that MacRuby is clearly not the wave of the future for
this.

Perry E. Metzger		perry at piermont.com