[MacRuby-devel] MacRuby application on Xcode

Kevin Walzer kw at codebykevin.com
Wed Oct 22 19:18:15 PDT 2014

On 10/22/14, 9:05 PM, Sandeep Murthy wrote:

> I can obviously create a source file where I can write Ruby code, but I can’t
> seem to compile and run this directly in Xcode.

MacRuby has been overtaken by bit-rot and is no longer viable. You may
need to move in another direction. Here are a few options:

1. As another poster in the thread indicated, try RubyMotion, a
commercial product developed by the creator of MacRuby that is
essentially its successor.

2. Switch to Objective-C for developing of a Cocoa app with Xcode.

3. Use Ruby with another GUI toolkit, such as Tk: Ruby has just added
support for Tk's latest version, 8.6. Tk works pretty well on the Mac,
other GUI toolkits are not well-maintained on the Mac.

Hope this helps,
Kevin

--
Kevin Walzer