[MacRuby-devel] MacRuby application on Xcode

Eric Christopherson echristopherson at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 12:35:32 PDT 2014

There's also RubyCocoa:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/rubycocoa/files/RubyCocoa/1.2.0/. Note
that the text incorrectly says "Looking for the latest version?
Download RubyCocoa-1.0.0.tar.gz (2.8 MB)"; the newest is actually
1.2.0. It was updated in July and says it works on 10.9; I'm not sure
about 10.10 or Xcode 6.1.

Also, since the subject of switching languages came up, Apple's new
Swift is closer in spirit to Ruby than Objective-C was:
https://developer.apple.com/swift/

On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 3:29 AM, Patrick Hanevold
<patrick.hanevold at gmail.com> wrote:
> There is also the pure ruby cocoa gem https://github.com/patrickhno/cocoa
>
> Patrick
>

> On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 4:18 AM, Kevin Walzer <kw at codebykevin.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 10/22/14, 9:05 PM, Sandeep Murthy wrote:
>>
>> > I can obviously create a source file where I can write Ruby code, but I
>> > can’t
>> > seem to compile and run this directly in Xcode.
>> >

>> MacRuby has been overtaken by bit-rot and is no longer viable. You may
>> need to move in another direction. Here are a few options:
>>
>> 1. As another poster in the thread indicated, try RubyMotion, a
>> commercial product developed by the creator of MacRuby that is
>> essentially its successor.
>>
>> 2. Switch to Objective-C for developing of a Cocoa app with Xcode.
>>
>> 3. Use Ruby with another GUI toolkit, such as Tk: Ruby has just added
>> support for Tk's latest version, 8.6. Tk works pretty well on the Mac,
>> other GUI toolkits are not well-maintained on the Mac.
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>> Kevin
>>
>> --
>> Kevin Walzer