[SCAP-On-Apple-Dev] Mac's Audit Data (slightly OT)

Jeffrey Blank blank at eclipse.ncsc.mil
Tue Jul 23 12:44:09 PDT 2013

Don't overthink this.

For compliance purposes, seeing that installed software is consistent
with the package receipts is a giant step forward and sufficient (from
my perspective, which I will defend).  Especially when compared to
everything done previously, such as close inspection of various aspects
of certain randomly chosen files (e.g. /etc/services, really?).

Reading/processing logs and audit data is a very good idea, but the
nature of such processing is outside the compliance realm (for now), at
least at the host level, which should focus instead on what to collect
and to make it available to the enterprise.