[SCAP-On-Apple] [SCAP-On-Apple-Dev] Mac OS X proposed pkginfo OVAL Test.

Josh Wisenbaker dubs at apple.com
Fri Jul 12 08:44:43 PDT 2013

On Jul 12, 2013, at 10:34 AM, Shane Shaffer <shane.shaffer at g2-inc.com> wrote:

> I have a system with two volumes, the boot volume and one named Partition2. I installed an application on Partition2. If I run "pkgutil --pkgs" that package is not listed. If I run "pkgutil --pkgs --volume /Volumes/Partition2" then it is listed. So it appears that querying the receipt database is volume specific. If I subsequently install the same application on the root volume, then it shows up as you'd expect via "pkgutil --pkgs" and there appears to be no link between the two installs. I would think that just checking the boot volume would be akin to just checking C:\Program Files on Windows - overwhelming probability of being the location, but not good enough.

Hi Gang,

All of the pkgutil actions are based on the destination volume, so it’s always a good idea to use a target volume. This even goes for generating installer choice manifest files as the install options for packages can vary depending on what is already installed.

As for finding installed applications I’ve always found the best option is to use a metadata query and launch services to locate the apps, and then simply read the Info.plist from the bundle to get the version. You could then compare this to the installer DB to find any missing software that was claiming to be installed.

Josh

--
Josh Wisenbaker
Consulting Engineer - Apple U.S. Commercial and Governmental Sales
dubs at apple.com