[SCAP-On-Apple] [SCAP-On-Apple-Dev] Mac OS X proposed pkginfo OVAL Test.

Jacobsen, Jasen W. jasenj1 at mitre.org
Mon Jul 15 06:09:49 PDT 2013

Let me make a statement  and see how it plays out: "pkgutil —pkg-info" is useless for OVAL; it should not be relied upon to accurately report system state. At best it can tell you that once upon a time the Installer was run using a particular package, but there is no expectation that the receipt database reflects current system state. There are other more accurate ways to get at the info "--pkg-info" provides.

Would anyone agree or disagree with the above?

As a representative of the language moderator, I don't have an opinion either way. Apple provides a package receipt database and a tool that reports package receipt contents. That seems to be a reasonable capability for OVAL to provide access to. However, if the contents of that receipt database is unreliable (meaning it doesn't reflect system state), then "--pkg-info" should be avoided and other mechanisms should be used to get at the information reported by "--pkg-info", e.g. what version an application is installed. OVAL then should NOT provide access to "--pkg-info" because it is not reliable.

- Jasen.