[SCAP-On-Apple] [SCAP-On-Apple-Dev] Mac OS X proposed pkginfo OVAL Test.

Peter Link plink53 at mac.com
Mon Jul 15 10:50:25 PDT 2013

Jasen and Josh, does this help?

system_profiler -xml SPApplicationsDataType > ~/Desktop/SPlist

gives complete listing of all applications found on the Mac, including drivers and anything application related. Output is XML file stored wherever you want it.

typical entry for printer driver. Shouldn't be a problem extracting whatever information you want from it.

<dict>
				<key>_name</key>
				<string>HP LaserJet 400 M401dn (F739D8)</string>
				<key>app_store</key>
				<string>no</string>
				<key>has64BitIntelCode</key>
				<string>yes</string>
				<key>lastModified</key>
				<date>2012-10-22T03:04:58Z</date>
				<key>path</key>
				<string>/Users/link/Library/Printers/HP LaserJet 400 M401dn (F739D8).app</string>
				<key>runtime_environment</key>
				<string>arch_x86</string>
				<key>version</key>
				<string>8.3</string>
			</dict>

disclaimer: I'm not a programmer, I'm more a facilitator who can sometimes find answers for things. I spent 18 years managing a Mac-based publication system and an additional 8 years trying to make sure our OS configurations met DOE requirements.

On Jul 15, 2013, at 8:33 AM, Josh Wisenbaker <dubs at apple.com> wrote:

> Remember too that you can pass categories to system_profiler to control what info it returns.
>
> It also can give you your output in XML format.
>
> Josh
>
> --
> Josh Wisenbaker
> Consulting Engineer - Apple U.S. Commercial and Governmental Sales
> dubs at apple.com
>
> On Jul 14, 2013, at 9:08 PM, Peter Link <plink53 at mac.com> wrote:
>
>> update:
>>
>> The system report is the results of running
>>
>> >system_profiler
>>
>> This simple command contains the current status of just about everything system related. The application's reporter files (.spreporter) are found in /System/Library/SystemProfiler. There is a SPApplicationsReporter.spreporter file but the basic operation of running the command system_profiler doesn't appear to run this file while using the GUI does. I'm still looking for more information.
>>
>> Many of you might want more information on certain files but I suggest looking at the System Profiler to see how much can be found using existing, simple applications.
>>
>> As for browser plugins, they are normally found in /Library/Internet Plug-Ins making it a simple task to find them.
>>
>> Excuse me if I'm trying to use the simple way to find things on OSX.
>>

>> On Jul 14, 2013, at 4:58 PM, Peter Link <plink53 at mac.com> wrote:
>>
>>> OSX provides a very simple method of displaying all applications using About this Mac/More Info as the front end to a System Report. Just need to figure out how the application finds everything. This also finds all devices including printers.

Peter Link
LLNL retired
plink53 at mac.com