[SmartcardServices-Dev] what's the focus of the SmartcardServices project?

Folkert Saathoff folkert at feedface.com
Tue Mar 17 02:08:37 PDT 2009

Hello List,
glad to see things are going forward again with smartcard integration
on Mac OS X.

I'm a bit confused though about the focus of the project (please
excuse my ignorance, I'm reading up on it as we speak :)
I'm mostly interested in home/personal use of USB Smartcards (eg
Aladdin eTokenPRO), not necessarily for login authentication, but
rather as a secure place to store ssh keys etc. Thus, i'm looking for
a way to provision (if that's the right term) cards on Mac OS X,
preferably using open source middleware. Right now, it seems that the
OpenSC project should be the best place to look for that. But I'm
wondering, is anybody on the list interested in (and in a position to
contribute to) this kind of thing? Or are people mainly concerned with
making enterprise stuff like CAC and PIV work correctly?

thnx/ cheers
Folkert Saathoff

oh and @Henry Hotz: Centrify DirectControl already does PKInit today,
in case you weren't aware of it :)