[SmartcardServices-Dev] New CCID smart card readers support

Giuseppe Amato gam at bit4id.com
Thu Nov 14 02:01:15 PST 2013

Hello,

with the introduction of the CCID driver package from the pcsc-lite
project in OSX 10.5 the number of reader supported by OSX out-of-the-box
has increased, since the new driver is more standard.
But something has become worst: a list of VIDs/PIDs explicitly supported
was introduced instead of using the "0x0b" CCID interface class to
detect a CCID reader.

Actually Apple didn't update anymore pcscd nor ccid ifd, so after many
years OSX does not supports out-of-the-box many CCID readers, just very
old models.
I think that if Apple will in the future update that components in the
official release of OSX the starting codebase should be the Smart Card
Services project, so it make sense to me continuing to update and
enhance it.

My proposal is to get back the code from the old pcscd version,
reintroducing the previous behavior:
if there isn't a bundle explicitly supporting a VID/PID and the device
supports "0x0b" class then pcscd loads the ifd-ccid.bundle as default
driver.
That avoids the need to continuously update the list of supported VIDs
and PIDs.

What do you think?

--
Giuseppe Amato