[SmartcardServices-Users] PCSC framework 32/64-bit issue

Martin Centner mcentner at iaik.tugraz.at
Wed Sep 9 06:04:33 PDT 2009

Hi!

I'm wondering if anybody on this list has an idea what the reason for
the strange behavior of the Java smartcard I/O API in 64-bit mode
described below might be.

Java smartcard I/O is shipped with Java SE 6.0 and above. It uses a
JNI library to communicate with PCSC-Lite (a part of the
SmartcardServices framework as far as I understand). When Java is
running in 32-bit mode the communication between Java and pcscd seems
to works fine. However, when Java is running in 64-bit mode (which is
the default in Snow Leopard) the communication seems to fail somewhere
between pcscd and the Java smartcard I/O.

pcscd is switched to 32-bit mode as soon as a card terminal with a 32-
bit driver is connected. When Java is running in 64-bit mode the JNI
library libj2pcsc and pcsc-lite are also loaded in their 64-bit
versions. Thus, the 33/64-bit transition takes place between pcscd and
the pcsc-lite library. So I first thought, it might be a general issue
of the pcsc-lite library and pcsc-deamon in a mixed 32/64-bit
environment. However, testing with this very simple C program attached

linking to the pcsc-lite library showed that it works fine when run in
32-bit and 64-bit mode.

Running this very simple Java program attached

shows different results when running in 32-bit and 64-bit mode. In 32-
bit mode it finds all connected card terminals and is able to connect
to inserted cards. In 64-bit mode it fails to list the card terminals
and/or fails to connect to the inserted card.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot,
Martin